York Quilt Museum and Gallery

 

 

 

 

York Quilt Museum and Gallery

 

The Guildhall is one four remaining guildhall in the city. The others being Merchant Taylors' Hall, the Merchant Adventurers Hall and the Guildhall. From the mid sixteenth century, the hall was being used as a workhouse. Many of the city’s poor would come to work on weaving, as well as petty criminals who were detained there. Later in the seventeenth century it was used as a knitting school up until as well as a house of correction in the lower part of the hall up until 1814.

 

Between 1625 and 1649 during the English Civil War, it was used as a storage facility for ammunition as well as an hospital and prison. It was then used by the Blue Coat charity as a school up until 1946. The York Civic Trust began managing the guildhall from 1953 until 2006 when it was purchased by the York Conservation Trust.

 

York Quilt Museum and Gallery

St Anthonys Hall
Peasholme Green, York, North Yorkshire YO1 7PW
01904 613 242

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hotels
Secure realtime online bookings with some great offers on hotels in York

 

 

Attractions
Find information on some

of York's finest attractions

 

 

Museums

A guide to some of

York's many Museums

 

Things to do

Things to do in and

around York

 

Pubs
A guide to some of York's

historical pubs

 

York Hotels and Attractions